A Liberating Word
Social Justice Resources for Preachers of the Gospel
Preaching for social justice has been on the run of late in mainline Protestant
churches. While some traditions have never lost sight of God's intention
to complete creation, crowning it with justice and peace, other traditions
have settled for a mess of pottage: therapy, management, and individual
spirituality being the chief examples. Yet it doesn't have to be that way.
The resources below are given for both pulpit renewal and encouragement.
May they strengthen you in moving beyond preaching to the narcissistic
pew of our culture to address also God's people and the world
God loves so much.
- Brown, Robert McAfee. Unexpected News. Philadelphia: Westminster,
- Buttrick, David G. Preaching the New and the Now. Louisville:
Westminster John Knox, 1998.
- Burghardt, Walter J. Preaching the Just Word. New Haven: Yale
University Press, 1996.
- Campbell, Charles. The Word Before the Powers. Louisville: Westminster
John Knox, 2002.
- Childs, James M. Preaching Justice: The Ethical Vocation of Word and
Sacrament Ministry. Harrisburg, PA: Trinity, 2000.
- Coffin, William S. A Passion for the Possible. Louisville:
Westminster John Knox, 1993.
- González, Justo L. and Catherine G. The Liberating Pulpit.
Nashville: Abingdon, 1994.
- McElvaney, William K. Preaching from Camelot to Covenant. Nashville:
- Resner, André, ed. Just Preaching: Prophetic Voices for Economic
Justice. St. Louis: Chalice, 2003.
- Saunders, Stanley and Charles Campbell, eds. The Word on the Street:
Performing the Scriptures in the Urban Context. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans,
- Shelp E. and R. Sunderland. The Pastor as Prophet.
- Sider, R. and M. King. Preaching about Life in a Threatening World.
Philadelphia: Westminster, 1987.
- Smith, Christine M. Preaching as Weeping, Confession, and Resistance.
Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1992.
- Smith, Christine M. Risking the Terror: Resurrection in This Life.
Cleveland: Pilgrim, 2001.
- van Seters, Arthur, ed. Preaching as a Social Act. Nashville:
- Wogaman, J. Philip. Speaking the Truth in Love. Louisville:
Westminster John Knox, 1998.
Social Justice Links of Help to Preachers
| Preaching Apocalyptic Texts | Biblio-file
| Syllabi | Liberating Word
| Links | M.Th. in Homiletics
WLS Home Page | Faculty
Page | Preaching Resources by DSJ
| My CV
Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in these
pages, Waterloo Lutheran Seminary and Wilfrid Laurier University do not and
cannot guarantee the accuracy thereof. Anyone using the information does so
at his or her own risk and shall be deemed to indemnify Waterloo Lutheran Seminary
and Wilfrid Laurier University from any and all injury or damage resulting from
Last Updated: 16 March, 2011
© copyright 1999-2011, David Schnasa Jacobsen and Waterloo Lutheran Seminary