CP468 ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, WINTER 2010, WLU
The course covers concepts and techniques in artificial intelligence and machine learning.
CP213 Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
Dr. Ilias S. Kotsireas
Office: N2076A, Office Hours: 24/7 and by appointment, Phone: 884-0710 ext. 2218, E-Mail: ikotsireATwlu.ca
Important Course Information
Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
(2nd Edition, 3rd Edition),
S. Russell, P. Norvig, Prentice Hall
Textbook Support Website http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu
Lecture Topics (corresponding to the 12 weeks schedule)
- Introduction, Intelligent Agents
- Problem solving, searching
- Metaheuristics I: Local Search, Tabu Search, Hill Climbing
- Metaheuristics II: Simulated Annealing, Genetic Algorithms, Ant Colony Optimization
- Constraint Satisfaction Problems
- Automated Reasoning, Prolog
- Knowledge Representation
- Knowledge-based systems
- Machine Learning
- Neural Networks I: Architectures, Pattern Classification
- Neural Networks II: Single-layer, Multi-layer
- Research Projects Presentations
Class Schedule, Winter Semester Timetable
| Mon | Wed |
| 16:00-17:20 | 16:00-17:20 |
| Room BA210 | Room BA210 |
| | |
Week 1: | Jan 04 | Jan 06 |
Week 2: | Jan 11 | Jan 13 |
Week 3: | Jan 18 | Jan 20 |
Week 4: | Jan 25 | Jan 27 |
Week 5: | Feb 01 | Feb 03 |
Week 6: | Feb 08 | Feb 10 |
Reading Week Feb 15 - Feb 19 N o C o u r s e s
| | |
Week 7: | Feb 22 | Feb 24 |
Week 8: | Mar 01 | Mar 03 |
Week 9: | Mar 08 | Mar 10 |
Week 10: | Mar 15 | Mar 17 |
Week 11: | Mar 22 | Mar 24 |
Week 12: | Mar 29 | Mar 31 |
| | |
Course Mailing List
Send e-mail to the course instructor, to be added to the course mailing list.
Subject: add me to the CP468 Mailing List
Course Requirements/Student Evaluation
- The course final grade is computed based on the 5 components:
A1, A2, M, TP, RAP, explained in more detail below.
- The course final grade is computed as:
A1*(15/100) + A2*(15/100) + M*(30/100) + TP*(30/100) + RAP*(10/100)
- (A1) Assignment 1: 15%, due date: Friday, January 29, 2010.
- (A2) Assignment 2: 15%, due date: Friday, March 12, 2010.
- Important Information regarding assignment submission:
- All assignment submissions will be by e-mail only.
- All assignment submissions will be acknowledged by e-mail.
- All assignment submissions must be typeset (LaTeX, Word).
- All assignment submissions must be by .pdf file attachment only.
- Send one .pdf file only, for the entire assignment.
- Use the following naming schemes, for your A1 and A2 .pdf files:
(these are dash characters, not underscores)
- Do not use a cover page. Instead, make sure that all pages of your .pdf file are
numbered and on each page include a header with your name, course code, date, and A1 (or A2)
- Assignment submissions that violate any of the above requirements, will not be accepted/marked.
- (M) Midterm: 30%, Wednesday, February 24, in class.
- (TP) Term Project: 30%, due date: Monday, April 5.
All students will be required to prepare a Term Project, details in class.
Students may form groups (of no more than 3 students each) to work on the Term Project collaboratively. Each group will have to deliver a project document and arrange for a project demonstration.
- (RAP) Research Article Presentation: 10%, Week 12 of classes.
Each student is required to study, understand and present
a research article (published in a research journal or a research conference)
relevant to databases research.
Half-hour presentations (20-min talk + questions/answers)
will be scheduled for the last week of courses.
Students are required to work on this project individually.
Some sources of finding such research papers are:
(on-line access also from Trellis)
- AAAI (Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence)
- IJCAI (International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence)
- Artificial Intelligence an Elsevier journal
Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence a Springer journal
- Machine Learning a Springer journal
- Journal of Heuristics a Springer journal
- Computational Intelligence a Wiley journal
- LNAI (Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence) a Springer series
- Canadian Artificial Intelligence Association Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research