CP468 ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, WINTER 2013, WLU
The course covers concepts and techniques in artificial intelligence and machine learning.
CP213 Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
Dr. Ilias S. Kotsireas
Office: N2076A, Office Hours: 24/7 and by appointment, Phone: 884-0710 ext. 2218, E-Mail: ikotsireATwlu.ca
Important Course Information
Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
S. Russell, P. Norvig, Prentice Hall
Textbook Support Website http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu
Lecture Topics (corresponding to the 12 weeks schedule)
- Introduction, Intelligent Agents
- Problem solving, searching
- Metaheuristics I: Local Search, Tabu Search, Hill Climbing
- Metaheuristics II: Simulated Annealing, Genetic Algorithms, Ant Colony Optimization
- Constraint Satisfaction Problems
- Automated Reasoning, Prolog
- Knowledge Representation
- Knowledge-based systems
- Machine Learning
- Neural Networks I: Architectures, Pattern Classification
- Neural Networks II: Single-layer, Multi-layer
- Research Projects Presentations
Class Schedule, Winter Semester Timetable
| Tue | Thu |
| 13:00-14:20 | 13:00-14:20 |
| Room N1058 | Room N1058 |
| | |
Week 1: | Jan 08 | Jan 10 |
Week 2: | Jan 15 | Jan 17 |
Week 3: | Jan 22 | Jan 24 |
Week 4: | Jan 29 | Jan 31 |
Week 5: | Feb 05 | Feb 07 |
Week 6: | Feb 12 | Feb 14 |
Reading Week Feb 18 - Feb 22 N o C o u r s e s
| | |
Week 7: | Feb 26 | Feb 28 |
Week 8: | Mar 05 | Mar 07 |
Week 9: | Mar 12 | Mar 14 |
Week 10: | Mar 19 | Mar 21 |
Week 11: | Mar 26 | Mar 28 |
Week 12: | Apr 02 | Apr 04 |
| | |
Course Mailing List
Send e-mail to the course instructor, to be added to the course mailing list.
Subject: add me to the CP468 Mailing List
Course Requirements/Student Evaluation
- The course final grade is computed based on the 5 components:
A1, A2, M, TP, RAP, explained in more detail below.
- The course final grade is computed as:
A1*(15/100) + A2*(15/100) + M*(30/100) + TP*(30/100) + RAP*(10/100)
- (A1) Assignment 1: 15%, due date: Thursday, January 31, 2013.
- (A2) Assignment 2: 15%, due date: Thursday, February 28, 2013.
- Important Information regarding assignment submission:
- All assignment submissions will be by e-mail only.
- All assignment submissions will be acknowledged by e-mail.
- All assignment submissions must be typeset (LaTeX, Word).
- All assignment submissions must be by .pdf file attachment only.
- Send one .pdf file only, for the entire assignment.
- Use the following naming schemes, for your A1 and A2 .pdf files:
(these are dash characters, not underscores)
- Do not use a cover page. Instead, make sure that all pages of your .pdf file are
numbered and on each page include a header with your name, course code, date, and A1 (or A2)
- Assignment submissions that violate any of the above requirements, will not be accepted/marked.
- (M) Midterm: 30%, Thursday, February 28, 2013, in class.
- (TP) Term Project: 30%, due date: Thursday, April 4, 2013.
All students will be required to prepare a Term Project, details in class.
Students may form groups (of no more than 3 students each) to work on the Term Project collaboratively. Each group will have to deliver a project document and arrange for a project demonstration.
- (RAP) Research Article Presentation: 10%, Week 12 of classes.
Each student is required to study, understand and present
a research article (published in a research journal or a research conference)
relevant to AI research.
Half-hour presentations (20-min talk + questions/answers)
will be scheduled for the last week of courses.
Students are required to work on this project individually.
Some sources of finding such research papers are:
(on-line access also from Trellis)
- AAAI (Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence)
- IJCAI (International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence)
- Artificial Intelligence an Elsevier journal
Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence a Springer journal
- Machine Learning a Springer journal
- Journal of Heuristics a Springer journal
- Computational Intelligence a Wiley journal
- LNAI (Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence) a Springer series
- Canadian Artificial Intelligence Association Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research